Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Gobble, Gobble

These beauties graces our back pasture last night.
What you don't see pictures of would be my crazy husband and me taking the pictures. The turkeys were pretty far out when we first started taking pictures, so Ken decided that we would "call" them closer. We both moved from our back door to the garage where I could take pictures from a window. Ken could also stand right outside the garage and "call" them.

I was informed that turkeys have amazing eye-sight and I was not allowed to move. As he started the "caller", they started running toward the house!!! There were four hens and three toms. The hens were the ones running toward the house thinking there was another tom there. The three toms just followed wherever they went. They came up to our back fence, so I moved from the window to laying on my belly (still in my work clothes on the garage floor) and sticking my camera lens out the cat door, so I could get a better shot! I'm sure we looked ridiculous!

They are just so beautiful!!!! I'm so thankful we were able to get them so close to the house and just be in awe of God's magnificent creation!
I love that they spread their big feathers trying to get the "ladies" attention! :)
This is what a male turkey (Tom) looks like when he doesn't have his feathers all spread out. They spread their feathers during mating season to be "more attractive" the hens.
We found out that hunting season for turkeys doesn't start until next month...so these pretties were safe from landing on our Thanksgiving table. I'm not so sure I would want Ken to hunt them anyway just b/c they are so beautiful. I don't want to scare them off...I'd love to see them every year!

2 comments:

Recovering Perfectionist said...

i love this post! there is a large group of turkeys (at least 30, i'd say) that hang out in a field on the highway between the farm and our house. we always look forward to seeing them and are saddened when we find their absence. last sunday, you could so much as say that we were elated to have to literally stop on the highway. they had decided it was time to cross the road and make their way back to home-base. i'm sure some would have been put out by the delay. not our little fam of three! we were tickled and considered it a little gift from God to us that morning. i am continually amazed at His creation! wish i was able to sit outside with you and watch this play out. =)

Recovering Perfectionist said...

p.s. i wish you could hear my blue try to say "gobble". it's one of his cuter animal sounds. =)