Monday, January 13, 2014

2013

Our 2013 was full of events that God used to change and grow me in my spiritual life.  Its funny what looked insignificant at the time turned out to be what God used to show me His character or something new about myself.

Some of those events were:
  • KP went to Kansas City for a week on business
  • Grandma Lavalle passed away
  • We put our house on the market because we found a house we thought we loved in town and put a contract on it
  • Through MANY ups and downs, excitement and let-down, we lost the house we wanted and God closed doors on us selling our house
  • Started renovating our house
  • Lost Duke
  • I got a new, amazing job!!!
  • Our church hired a new pastor
  • We took a much needed trip to Frisco/Ft. Worth
  • Ruger had surgery (which was traumatic for me in and of itself) and found out he has lymphoma
  • I turned 35
  • I led a small group for college students
  • I attended one of Beth Moore's conferences
  • KP and I celebrated our 4th anniversary
  • We were able to celebrated with friends who welcomed babies
  • Took a weekend trip to Hattiesburg, MS to visit friends and stopped in West Monroe to see Duck Commander and visited family in  Arkansas
  • We continued our tradition of cutting down our Christmas tree
  • Loved celebrating the holidays with my annual brunch, business lunches and dinners and our annual night at the ballet seeing the Nutcracker
  • We spent Christmas in Minnesota
  • We were home for New Years Eve and enjoyed a night with new friends at a comedy club and wine bar
As I read through this list, the constant theme is my lack of control and His incredible grace.  Every one of those have a story I could tell.  There were lots of tears and just as much laughter and celebrating.  I guess those are the best years. I can't ever say that I wish the "bad" didn't happen because those are the moments and circumstances that I see my God the most.  And, there are even times that I thought were "bad" and I felt I was having to give up part of myself only to find out that God was just revealing my selfishness and even some self-righteousness in my heart.  I'm grateful for where we have been the last year and for the people that walked it with us.  Most of all, I am so thankful for the reminders that God's way is so much better than what I could even imagine.  He shows off His faithfulness in ways that take my breath away.  Humbling me in the best of ways.  I love seeing Him move and work in my life.  Some of the best lessons are those I don't even see coming.

We welcome 2014!  We have no expectations or plans for the year and its kind of exciting.  To have a fresh year open to whatever God calls us to do for His purpose and glory.

2 comments:

mlc said...

Love you! I've missed your posts! Hope 2014 brings more of them! :)

Judith and Lance said...

Nice to see an update and fun to read about what God did in your lives in 2013. Hate we missed ya'll at christmas! xo