Most of us end our prayers with "in Jesus name". I think its something we do because we grew up hearing it from our parents or we hear it from people at church.
Lately, I've been very convicted about using that phrase so flippantly. I have been guilty of using it without truly paying attention to what I'm saying or using it as a "wish", almost like a genie in a bottle kinda thing. Because God's Word tells us that we can ask anything in His name and we will receive it, right? What this actually means is that we can ask anything in His name that falls in line with His will. For us to know His will, we have to be in relationship with Him. If you have been in this place of relationship with Him, you KNOW when you are asking for something that He has laid on your heart compared to asking for something YOU want.
When I pray using "in Jesus name", I am signing HIS name to something. I want to be very reverent in using His name! I want to remember who He truly is...all His glory and holiness. I also want to be respectful of His will and plan. I think I can safely say that most people (if not ALL) do not like when someone speaks for them. I know that my husband would never appreciate me asking a friend of his for something and saying it was for him, when it isn't something my husband actually wants. Or, how many of you, as a child, asked your dad for something and after he told you "no", you said, "mom said it was okay." How mad would your mom get that you used her name to get what you wanted? This is was I've been convicted about: to not use Jesus' name just to get something that I really want.
This morning as I was praying, I realized one area of my life that I can always pray that over: signing His name to my prayer for protection over my marriage. Because my husband and I entered into a covenant with God, I can sign His name to my prayer when I pray that this union will be protected "until death do us part". No matter the circumstance or how either on of us feels in a certain moment of life, God will always take the side of our marriage. He will always defend it and fight for it.
I am so thankful to have this promise with me.
(linked up at Imparting Grace for "Grace at Home" series)
Tuesday, June 19, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment