From Rachael Ray's Magazine
1 lb. plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, separated
Salt and pepper
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 onions, chopped
1 lb. carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 lb. yellow fleshed potatoes (yukon gold), peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
One (32 oz) box of chicken broth (or 4 cups)
1/2 lb green beans, trimmed and halved crosswise
1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 500 degrees. Arrnage the tomatoes cut side up on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and drizzle 2 tbls olive oil on top; season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer the tomatoes and any juices to a bowl.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add to the pan and cook, turning once, until cooked through, about 10 minutes; transfer to a work surface. Let cool, then shredd the meat.
3. In the same saucepan, heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, season with salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes and chicken broth and bring to a simmer; cook for 5 minutes. Add the green beans and tomatoes with their juices, partially cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir the chicken and parsley; season with salt and pepper.
____________________________________________
What I did:
1. The only thing I changed in step one, was I used "Pam" instead of olive oil.
2. Instead of cooking chicken in olive oil, I boiled the chicken until cooked. Then transfered it to cool and shredded.
3. In the same saucepan, I used about 2 tbsp of the left over broth from boiling the chicken instead of the olive oil to saute the onion. It took a lot longer to cook the potatoes. I followed the directions, but after I added the green beans and it all simmered for 10 minutes, the potatoes still weren't finished. I brought it to a slow boil and left it like that (partially covered) for 10 more minutes. Than I added the chicken and let it simmer 10 more minutes. The pototoes were finally done. I also didn't use the parsley b/c the grocery store was out!
____________________________________________
Will we make it again?
YES!!! We both loved it!!!! Great flavor from the roasted tomatoes! Its even a good summer meal with all the veggies. I also made garlic cheese bread to go with it. It was really good!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment